Become an Own Art gallery
Selling to your customers with Own Art is simple. The 5 step process below explains how it works:
1. Customer decides they want to make a purchase using Own Art
2. Gallery takes the customer through an online credit application lasting approximately 10 minutes. The online system produces an instant decision from the credit provider
3. If accepted, the customer e-signs the credit agreement and direct debit mandate, and the gallery e-signs an agreement on behalf of the business. This takes a matter of 2-3 minutes
4. The customer can take their purchase away immediately or whenever they wish to collect or have the work delivered. As soon as the customer is in receipt of their purchase, the gallery notifies our Credit Provider to receive payment
5. The amount (less the 2.5% service charge*) is remitted to the gallery via BACS within 2-3 working days
* Own Art member galleries pay a fixed service charge of 2.5% of the loan amount on each credit agreement successfully completed and submitted to the credit provider. The remaining cost is subsidised by our funding partners, ensuring that the scheme remains affordable for our member galleries, and guaranteeing that Own Art customers are never charged interest on their loans.
The charge to galleries is deducted by our Scheme Credit Provider at source, before remitting the balance by BACS payment to the gallery’s bank account. For example, if a loan agreement is submitted for £1,000 the gallery will receive a remittance of £975 (= 97.5% of the loan value).
What does it cost to become a member?
Applications for membership are subject to a non-refundable fee of £250 (+VAT), payable at the point of application. This fee goes towards the administrative costs of processing your application, including a ‘mystery shopper’ site assessment.
Own Art members are also required to pay an annual membership fee of £240 (+ VAT) once they have been on the scheme for 12 months. The annual fee gives you access to a great range of exclusive benefits and discounts and is essential to allow the continued growth and promotion of the Own Art scheme for the benefit our customers, members and the artists whose work they represent. As part of our funding agreement with Arts Council England, National Portfolio Organisations are exempt from the paying the annual membership fee.
Who is it for?
Membership of the scheme is open to commercial enterprises, charities and other not-for-profit organisations based in England, Scotland or Northern Ireland that specialise in the presentation and sale of work by contemporary artists. This includes internet-based galleries that are registered in these regions. We are unable to consider applications from individual artists, or from companies that represent the work of a single artist only.
Applications are assessed against specific criteria, and we advise you to read these Terms and Conditions of Membership before applying.
How do I apply?
1. Complete the online application form
2. Pay your application fee - following receipt of your application Creative United will send you a confirmation email along with a PayPal invoice for the £250 (+VAT) application fee. Please note that your application will not be processed until payment has been received.
On receipt of payment, your application will be assessed by both Creative United and Hitachi to ensure that it meets our membership criteria. You will be notified at this stage if we are unable to progress your application further.
If your application meets our criteria, a “mystery shopper” site visit will be arranged where an appointed Creative United Assessor will visit your premises in person in order to assess standards of presentation and customer service.
Following the site assessment, your application will be subject to final review by Creative United before you are notified of our decision. You will be notified within 7 weeks from the date that you submitted your application.